Another day out sketching with Leon Webb, Rob Davies, Hong Voong, and Hanh Vong. This time we took a trip to the Old Town. Old Harlow pre-dates the first written record in the Domesday Book of 1086, so it is unknown when the town first came into existence.
We started off at the lodge in East Park, which when built in the 19th century was the former Gate House for the main entrance to the Mark Hall Manor & estate.
Across the road from The Lodge is Fawbert and Barnard school founded in the 1840's by the Fawbert and Barnard Foundation. In 1895 an new building was build to house two schools, one for girls and infants and the other for boys.
High Street is the main shopping centre for people living in the Old Harlow and Churchgate Street area, It consists of many shops, restaurants and cafes, including Dorrington Bakery.
This was the first of Ernest Dorrington's shops to open back in 1924. There are now 15 shops across Hertfordshire, Essex & Cambridgeshire.
Opposite High Street runs Fore Street and Market Street, where there are three of the Old Town pubs, the Chequers, the Marquis of Granby and the Crown. Another very old building which catches the eye right on the corner is this beautiful grade II listed building, The Gables.
Along Market Street is St. John’s ARC, which is a community Arts and Recreation Centre. The ARC offer a varied programme of activities such as concerts, exhibitions and workshops.
On the other side of Old Harlow is The Victoria Hall, built in 1888 to commemorate Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee in 1887. The building has housed many events, which is now part of Harlow's history.
The residential areas of Old Harlow are very different from the council estates of the new town, with their overground cables stretching cross the streets, and their huge old chimneys rowed up along the roof tops, they hold a lot of charm.
I think between the four of us we captured Old Harlow well, If only we had more hours of daylight to get some more of the old buildings and pubs in Market Street.